Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Safari 3 Crashes - How to Revert to Old Safari 2.0

080205-Revert_Back_to_Safari_2

OPTION A - Spare me the sob story and just give me a solution:
OPTION B - I wanna read about your problems and see how you came to a solution

OPTION A

The Safari 3 Crash Fix - Revert to Safari 2:

1. Download Safari Application from:
http://rs18.rapidshare.com/files/16056640/Safari.zip

2. Extract zip file

3. Back up current Safari Application (HD:Applications:Safari)

4. Quit Safari

5. Move downloaded Safari application to Applications folder and click "Replace"

6. Open Safari and enjoy relatively crash-free browsing! :D


OPTION B

The Problem
So I made the fatal mistake of upgrading to Safari 3.0 a few days back. At the time I had also just installed Speed Download. Every time I quit Safari it crashed. Every time I closed a window Safari crashed. Often when I opened new tabs Safari Crashed. The point I'm making is that Safari 3 crashes a lot.

Initially, I figured Speed Download was part of the problem. I uninstalled the program and was sad to learn if fixed nothing. Many other Safari 3 users have reported displeasing performance. It is the first Apple update/upgrade that has actually forced me to revert to an older version.

The Search for a Solution
I wasn't the only one searching for a Safari 3 fix. Many users wanted to revert to an older version but is wasn't as simple as one might think. Apparently Safari 3 came with an uninstall option packaged with the .dmg file, not anticipating any problems, I must have thrown it out in a desperate attempt to create space for music and movies. Nor could I download the package again from Apple servers. My only options are Safari downloads for XP and Vista or the security update package bundled with Safari 3 which I presume has no un-install option.

Many people have gone to sites such as www.oldversion.com to try and get older Safari versions but none of these worked for me as the installer detected a newer Safari on my drive and thus wouldn't let me reinstall. I was so eager to get Safari working again that I just trashed the application, in the hopes an older version would install once it was gone, and I didn't even think to make a backup of the application. Now I was really screwed.

The Fix
In the end I found a rapidshare link with just the Safari 2.0.4 application, no installer. I downloaded it, threw it into my applications folder and everything is running smooth again!

Directions:

1. Download Safari Application from:
http://rs18.rapidshare.com/files/16056640/Safari.zip

2. Extract zip file

3. Back up current Safari Application (HD:Applications:Safari)

4. Quit Safari

5. Move downloaded Safari application to Applications folder and click "Replace"

6. Open Safari and enjoy relatively crash-free browsing! :D

1 comment:

Unknown said...

10x a lot - very useful info ;)