Thursday, July 24, 2008

ExpoDisc Review - Not Just for Pros


Title: Expodisc
Photo by: mattiasj

I'd like to think my photography is beyond amateur by now, but I am by no means a pro. I spend a great deal of time on my hobby and have recently had some paid work shooting UFC style events, billboards and website shots in Seoul, Korea.

Gray balance has always intimidated me. I finally decided to overcome my fear and applied myself to studying the art of gray balance. In my quest for knowledge, I came across the word "ExpoDisc" hundreds of times. It wasn't until the hundred-and-first time that I actually decided to figure out what an ExpoDisc was.

The more I read, the clearer it became that this was the ultimate gray card solution. I ordered the 77mm ExpoDisc even though I don't even own a 77mm lens. My rational for doing so is that most professional lenses are 77mm. Thus, I can grow into this filter and in the mean time it will fit all my smaller lenses. It wont lock on, because it's too big, but it's just a matter of holding the filter up against the barrel, no big deal. At $99 bucks a pop, you don't want to be buying one of these for each lens.

An example of the ExpoDisc in action:

Title: Expodisc indoor comparison shot
Photo by: Bob Reck

ExpoDisc Pros:
-Nice packaging (Packaging is your first impression, it says a lot about the company quality of the product contained within)
-Simple to use
-Great instructions that not only tell you HOW to use it, but also, WHY to use it which I appreciate.
-Well built, feels very solid
-Case and lanyard included
-Instant gratification when your photos come out looking heaps better

ExpoDisc Cons
-Case could be more streamlined, a little clunky
-Yes, it's pricy

Conclusion
Every photographer can benefit from an ExpoDisc. To steal a quote from the packaging, "Why didn't someone think of this sooner?"

Greg
www.comatosed.ca

Ps. I think this is the first time I've ever given a product a 5 star rating.

No comments: